Philadelphia 19132, Pennsylvania
YESPhilly is a nonprofit agency whose mission is to develop a broad base of opportunities for Philadelphia’s youth who have not found success in traditional school settings to prepare them to become self-sufficient adults. Each year, YESPhilly provides opportunities to over 200 youth. YESPhilly’s educational model prepares students for college and careers to meet Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s standards for high school. Our core positive values include: welcoming students as they are; bringing out the best in students; valuing and upholding student voice with trust, love and respect.
YESPhilly is at a pivotal point in its 20 year tenure. As its founding executive director retires this year, YESPhilly is seeking its next visionary leader to take our organization to the next level. This position has an anticipated start date of June 2019.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall strategic vision and organizational health of YESPhilly. This position supervises and supports operational and educational staff and provides budgetary oversight. The Executive Director will also be responsible for development and fundraising—raising the necessary funds to support and deepen YESPhilly’s impact.
Organizational development and strategic planning
- Collaborate with the board on building upon the core educational model at YESPhilly and creating and implementing a strategic vision.
- Strategically expand YESPhilly’s reach through increased enrollment and expansion of student supports and resources.
- Establish processes, procedures and accountability systems throughout the organization.
Leadership and staff management
- Evolve and maintain a positive vision for the YESPhilly school that is apparent to staff, students, board, funders, and community partners.
- Manage and support a diverse team of educators and staff.
- Connect to other organizations and systems to advocate for our organization and to build partnerships and new initiatives.
- Maintain fair and trustworthy approach to staff and students.
Fundraising and Development
- Build upon and manage existing funder relationships including government and private foundations.
- Explore new initiatives and develop new partnerships to increase funding.
- Cultivate individual donor relationships.
Financial Management/ Budgetary Oversight/ Compliance
- Guide annual budget development, quarterly budget revisions and other budgetary interventions as needed.
- Oversee fiscal and accounting policies and procedures, sign all checks and approve all expenditures.
- Responsible for organizational contractual compliance.
Who You Are:
- You are a people-oriented, active community-minded leader with 10+ years experience in a nonprofit or educational setting, including 3 years demonstrated experience in a leadership position.
- You have a bachelor's degree (master’s preferred) in the field of education or a related field/discipline (e.g., social work, psychology, public health).
- You have experience working with older youth and young adults in the areas of education and youth development. You believe in the limitless potential of youth and have a deep understanding of YESPhilly’s target population.
- You are inspiring, authentic and trustworthy. You have experience managing teams and are an approachable yet effective manager. You value accountability both for yourself and your team.
- You have the unique ability to tell a compelling narrative, both orally and in writing—inspiring stakeholders and funders to support your cause.
- You have a collaborative leadership style that values input from staff and stakeholders.
- You communicate effectively and are able to make decisions in a timely manner.
- You have training in Trauma-Informed practices and are able to meet people where they are.
- You are able to develop and implement effective organizational systems to track and manage performance and impact.
- You are able to connect and build relationships with diverse stakeholders from youth to funders to board members to policy makers.
- You have experience working with a nonprofit board and understand nonprofit board governance.
Salary and Benefits:
- $85,000-$95,000 (commensurate with experience)
- Paid vacation time, personal time, sick time, plus school holidays
- Health insurance and retirement plan offered
If this sounds like you, please submit a cover letter and resume detailing your relevant experience. In addition please send an attachment that answers the following: 1. What in your background has prepared you for this opportunity? 2. What is the role of public education in the context of YESPhilly? 3. What do you have to believe about young people to do this job well?
Send all materials to YESPhillySearch@gmail.com
Contact: Mary Alice Duff