Director of Engagement and Business Development
Swarthmore 19081, Pennsylvania
The Deaf-Hearing Communication Centre is a regional not-for-profit organization founded in 1972 located in Swarthmore, PA. Our mission is to provide the best possible opportunities for Deaf, hard of hearing, and DeafBlind individuals to achieve equal communication access to the world around them and improve their economic independence.
The Deaf-Hearing Communication Centre is shifting its focus from primarily providing ASL interpreting services toward providing services that improve educational and occupational outcomes for young Deaf adults. We would achieve this by providing programs that eliminate all of the barriers to communication that exist for these types of programs. We're also shifting to provide more resources for parents of Deaf children. We can't do this alone and will be working closely with partnering organizations to achieve great things.
Please join us. We’re building a regional community of Deaf, hard of hearing, and DeafBlind leaders who have the potential of achieving equal access in their homes, their families and their jobs.
We are looking for a dynamic, entrepreneurial development and program professional with a proven track record of developing and maintaining government, corporate and foundation relationships that lead to meaningful engagement and resource commitments. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Engagement and Business Development will be a critical member of a team that works collaboratively to achieve the Centre's strategic goals.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Engagement and Business Development serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting DHCC. In partnership with the Executive Director, this position is responsible for ALL fundraising and new business development activities. The successful candidate helps forge new relationships to build DHCC’s visibility, impact, and financial resources both locally as well as regionally. The Director will also design and implement a comprehensive plan for developing key external alliances by cultivating individual and philanthropic support.
The Director of Engagement and Business Development will have primary responsibility for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to launch new initiatives through federal and state grants, special events, corporate and foundation support, along with individual donor programs and major gifts.
The successful candidate will work closely with other team members to secure funding for new initiatives. In parallel, the Director will work closely with the Board of Directors as an integral member of the committee tasked with executing its development and fundraising initiatives.
- Support and partner with the ED and board members on all major business development and fundraising initiatives
- Collaborate with the executive team to develop and implement DHCC’s financial strategy
- Actively work with the ED and senior staff to develop and implement a comprehensive development strategy to include government grants, corporate, foundation, etc.
- Have primary responsibility for development and execution of all proposals; write and archive all proposals with a long-term relationship-management approach.
- Develop and submit reports to grantors/funders associated with program goals and responsibilities.
- Oversee research funding sources and trends, with foresight, to help position DHCC ahead of major funding changes or trends.
- Develop and deploy a CRM solution to ensure consistent contact and interactions with grantors/funders.
- Monitor all funding information; provide and present summary analysis to board and senior leaders
- Develop and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with grantors and donors
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program
- Identify, develop, and mentor future development team members
- 5-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a business development and fundraising function (managing and forging relationships with multiple grantor/donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing grantor/donor relationships
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong organizational skills & customer centric focus
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside DHCC
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Experience with American Sign Language or Deaf community is preferred, must be willing to learn
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's preferred
TO APPLY: Please send/email a cover letter, resume and three professional references to Neil McDevitt, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be prepared to present a portfolio of your relevant work experience for review during this process.
Position is open until filled.
DHCC is an equal employment opportunity employer and actively encourages deaf, hard-of-hearing, members of traditionally underrepresented groups, people with disabilities, women, and veterans to apply for open positions.