Director of Development
Philadelphia 19144, Pennsylvania
Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia is seeking an is seeking an energetic, creative and motivated full time Director of Development. This unique director level position requires a fundraising professional who is donor-centric, relationship-driven and understands the power of philanthropy and its ability to positively impact the lives of under resourced bright young students and help build the next generation of educators.
Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia is a dynamic and mighty non-profit organization with a 3-person Fund Development operation raising money to support college access and persistence through higher education for underserved youth. The ideal person is a self-starter and generalist who understands all aspects of fundraising and has the passion and capacity to build, expand, and maximize donor relationships.
In partnership with the Executive Director and the newly-formed fund development committee of the board, the Director of Development will be instrumental in helping Breakthrough continue to grow and thrive.
In consultation with the Executive Director, the Director of Development will be responsible for:
- Implementing a comprehensive fund development plan that aligns with Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia’s strategic goals
- Securing philanthropic support from individuals, foundations and corporations, and government funding sources
- Acquiring, developing, and maintaining ongoing relationships with key stakeholders and major donors
- Creating and executing an effective strategy for a growing a loyal annual donor base
- Grant writing and tracking proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising
- Supporting donor prospecting, cultivation, and stewardship
- Project managing of targeted fundraising initiatives and campaigns
- Managing the gift administration process
- Managing Breakthrough’s two major annual events held in October and May as well as other cultivation opportunities.
- Overseeing social media and Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia’s digital brand presence
- Serving as Board liaison to keep the members informed and up to date on fund development activities
- Planned giving experience a plus
Important attributes include: adaptability, embraces change, friendly and positive attitude, a collaborative spirit, a willingness to learn, critical thinker, results-driven and tenacious.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience in fundraising and securing charitable gifts from a variety of funding sources. A successful track record with an emphasis on growth and expansion is a must. Campaign fundraising experience is a plus. Knowledge of the Greater Philadelphia Region’s philanthropic landscape and education system and experience with a regional or national non-profit organization is preferable.
Must be proficient with Windows and Apple® OSX, Microsoft® Office, donor and relationship management software, social media platforms, and other relevant online tools.
Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia offers a competitive salary along with a generous vacation package and no-cost health benefits including medical, dental, and long-term disability.
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to respond by sending a resume and cover letter to: Dr. Robbin Smart, Executive Director at [email protected]
Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia launches talented students, beginning in middle school, on a path to college success and inspires outstanding college students to pursue careers in education.
Breakthrough increases educational opportunity by focusing on the development of both students and teachers. Through academic enrichment and college preparation, Breakthrough prepares students who have limited educational opportunities to attend and succeed at competitive high schools and four-year colleges. Simultaneously, Breakthrough develops future educators by providing professional teaching experiences to college students through its selective residency programs. Breakthrough Philadelphia is part of a national educational movement called The Breakthrough Collaborative, which operates in 26 cities across the country.
It is the policy and practice of this Corporation to assure that no person will be discriminated against or be denied the benefits of any activity or educational program and not to discriminate against any person on the grounds of race, color, creed, religious belief, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical disability or blindness and or sex, except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification.
With respect to its governing body and employees, it is the policy and practice of this Corporation to assure that no person will be discriminated against or be denied the benefits of any activity program or employment process in the areas of recruiting, hiring, upgrading, promoting, transferring, demoting, lay-offs, terminations, rehiring, employment and/or rates of pay and other compensations.