Development and Marketing Associate
Philadelphia 19144, Pennsylvania
Breakthrough Philadelphia launches talented students, beginning in middle school, on a path to college success and inspires outstanding college students to pursue careers in education.
Breakthrough increases educational opportunity by focusing on the development of both students and teachers. Through academic enrichment and college preparation, Breakthrough prepares students who have limited educational opportunities to attend and succeed at competitive high schools and four-year colleges. Simultaneously, Breakthrough develops future educators by providing professional teaching experiences to college students through its selective residency programs. Breakthrough Philadelphia is part of a national educational movement called The Breakthrough Collaborative, which operates in 26 cities across the country. www.breakthroughphilly.org
Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia is seeking an energetic, creative and motivated full-time Development & Marketing Associate. This position requires a fundraising professional who is relationship-centric, data-driven and understands the transformative power of philanthropy.
We are a small ( <$1MM) fund development operation entirely reliant on charitable resources to meet the budget requirements. The ideal person is a self-starter and generalist who understands the interconnectedness of the roles and outcomes within a small, mission-driven non-profit setting. If you have a solid understanding of the fundraising process, know how to build a case for giving and engage annual donors to effectively build and expand a development program, we encourage you to apply.
In consultation with the Executive Director and the Director of Development, this position will be responsible for:
- Supporting and implementing a comprehensive fund development plan that aligns with Breakthrough’s strategic goals
- Securing philanthropic support from individuals through the annual giving program
- Securing philanthropic support from corporate and community sources
- Managing the gift administration process
- Creating and executing an effective strategy for a growing and expanding a loyal annual donor base
- Developing and maintaining ongoing relationships with donors
- Supporting donor prospecting, cultivation and stewardship
- Project management of targeted fundraising initiatives and mini-campaigns
Important attributes include: adaptable, embraces change, friendly and positive attitude, a collaborative spirit, critical thinker, results-driven and tenacious.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in fundraising with an emphasis on and a successful track record in growth and expansion. Campaign fundraising experience is a plus. Experience with a regional or national non-profit organization is preferable.
Core Skill Set
- Exceptional business writing skills. Grant writing/proposal writing experience is a must.
- A keen ability to prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- A capacity for work that involves accuracy, attention to detail and an understanding of fundraising.
- Engage in critical thinking and think creatively to maximize the resources available.
- High-energy and a love of working with all ages from students to corporate leaders to aging donors.
Individual Giving – Annual Fund
- Work in collaboration with the DOD on all aspects of the Breakthrough Annual Fund campaign from start to finish that will result in developing effective targeted annual giving strategies, donor acquisition and renewal programs that will ultimately expand and grow the Breakthrough donor base.
- Manage and build content for the digital giving program to include: online giving campaigns, crowdfunding and social media.
- Work directly with the Director of Development (DOD) and the Executive Director (ED) on crafting, developing and executing the Breakthrough fund development strategic plan.
- Provide leadership with donor cultivation, solicitation, recognition and stewardship. Work with the DOD on donor upgrades and renewals.
- Provide leadership on executing all donor-related marketing strategies .
Annual Fund Project Management
- Work in collaboration with the DOD and the ED and the program team to organize and execute the following targeted events:
- Work with off-site partners on logistics, scheduling and venue planning
- Planning and execution of fund development and marketing events including coordinating with volunteers, students, parents and other constituents, procuring venue, speakers, videographers, catering needs, vendors, handouts, a/v needs, list management, event collaterals design and coordination, and travel arrangements
- Event project management and coordination as needed per the goals and event-related priorities of Breakthrough’s fund development plan such as: Corporate Conversations, Corporate Council, Visiting Day(s), Parent & Student fundraising teams, Dinners with the Doc
- Oversee donor software: database management, list management, reports and queries as needed, manage relationship with Salesforce, oversee maintenance agreement and any online upgrades
- Work with ED and DOD on all aspects of prospecting database; coordinate donor data collection and input, create and maintain internal prospecting process that interfaces with the database; prospect data analysis
- Data mining and analysis for donor acquisition, upgrades and renewals
- Execute gift administration process using Salesforce software and merchant account technology, data entry, tracking, gift posting, pledge administration and routine reconciliation with finance
- Experience with fund development donor database software – Salesforce preferred.
- High level of experience and knowledge of advocacy through social media, engagement and content management
- High level proficiency in Microsoft Office products - Outlook, Word and Excel
- Experience with Constant Contact and other similar web-based fundraising, marketing and communications tools
- Overall general knowledge of computers and office equipment
- All duties as assigned
- Maintain Breakthrough files (electronic and paper)
Competitive salary and benefits package offered.
To Apply: Submit resumé, cover letter, three recent writing sample(s) and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Development & Marketing Associate search in the subject line.
Nondiscrimination policy: It is the policy and practice of this Corporation to assure that no person will be discriminated against or be denied the benefits of any activity or educational program and not to discriminate against any person on the grounds of race, color, creed, religious belief, national origin, ancestry, marital status, physical disability or blindness and or sex, except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification. With respect to its governing body and employees, it is the policy and practice of this Corporation to assure that no person will be discriminated against or be denied the benefits of any activity program or employment process in the areas of recruiting, hiring, upgrading, promoting, transferring, demoting, lay-offs, terminations, rehiring, employment and/or rates of pay and other compensations.