Communications and Marketing Intern
Philadelphia 19119, Pennsylvania
Founded in 1980, Mt. Airy CDC’s mission is to preserve, empower, and advance a vibrant and diverse Mt. Airy.
The CDC works towards its mission in four program areas: 1) Housing Counseling, 2) Real Estate Development, 3) Business Services, and 4) Community Programs.
By joining us, you will engage in truly meaningful work that seeks to strengthen local schools; help families purchase their first home or stay in it when they experience hardships; improve the physical infrastructure of our neighborhood; help new entrepreneurs develop and existing local businesses thrive; and ultimately connect neighbors with one another. You will be an integral part of our efforts to deepen the longstanding tradition of making Mt. Airy a welcoming place to call home.
Go to www.mtairycdc.org for more details about us.
Mt. Airy CDC (Community Development Corporation) seeks a tech-savvy and enthusiastic self-starter to assist in marketing and communications efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of marketing while working for a well-known community based nonprofit organization. The ideal candidate is an undergraduate (junior or senior) or graduate student studying public relations, marketing, communications, digital communication, or journalism. Graduate students are also welcome to apply.
As our Communications/Marketing intern, you will support the Communications Manager on a wide range of tasks and high visibility projects, including, but not limited to:
- Assist in pitching, drafting, and distributing press releases, media alerts, and other stories
- Assist in developing social media content (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
- Assist in updating and maintaining social media accounts
- Update mtairycdc.org website
- Assist in planning, writing, and managing monthly e-Newsletter with business or program information
- Write and edit copy
- Special events: planning, implementation, marketing, staffing event, community outreach
- Participate in weekly Communications meeting with Executive Director and Managing Director; and monthly all-staff meetings
- Create and distribute internal executive communications
- Assist with metrics for programming and marketing: Survey creation and deployment to collect data, analyze and summarize responses
While this is primarily a Communications position, you will also have the opportunity to learn about business development, community programming, real estate development, and affordable housing. There will be occasional after-hours social and networking events to attend but these events are not mandatory. We are a small organization where people often wear more than one hat.
You will gain substantive, hands-on experience. Your assignments will add value not only to the organization but also to your development as a professional in the field.
Out of the box thinking is encouraged and laughter abounds - join us!
- Effective communicator, written and verbal
- Good organizational skills and tactically minded
- Strong editing skills
- Excellent computer skills with experience in social media & Google Suite preferred
- Firm grasp of available tools and platforms in the social media space
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or InDesign preferred
- Experience with graphic design preferred
- Openness to learning and growing within the internship experience
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented & creative
- Enthusiastic about gaining new knowledge
- Philadelphia resident preferred
Start & End Dates: June 1, 2019 - August 30, 2019 (dates flexible)
Location: 6703 Germantown Avenue, Suite 200, Philadelphia, PA 19119
Hours: 20-30 hours/week required; Office hours 9am-5pm (flexible), with some evenings for special events.
Compensation: This position is unpaid. However, a monthly travel stipend will be provided (for public transportation).
How to apply: Email resume and cover letter to Sharon Kim, firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing “Communications Intern” in the subject line. Deadline to apply: Monday, May 27, 2019
Mt. Airy CDC is a Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, national origin, ethnic, background, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Contact: Managing Director Ms. Sharon Kim