Chief Mission Officer
Exton 19341, Pennsylvania
Bridge of Hope National is seeking a dynamic Chief Mission Officer. If you are interested in using your homelessness expertise, relationship building skills and strong communication ability to solve homelessness and engage Christian faith communities, considering joining Bridge of Hope’s team.
Who we are looking for:
The Chief Mission Officer will provide leadership to the Bridge of Hope network of 19 locations across 13 states, while building a growing base of national partnerships; strategize for mission growth; and serve as thought leader on church engagement in ending family homelessness. The candidate will work collaboratively to increase the reach and impact of Bridge of Hope.
What you will do:
Serving as second to the executive director, this person will oversee the implementation and expansion of the Bridge of Hope program and mission, support current Bridge of Hope locations, build and nurture partnerships with like-minded organizations across the country for future growth and serve as a leading voice and thought-leader on topics core to the Bridge of Hope mission.
- Build collaborative and successful national partnerships that will lead to increased mission impact.
- Proactively build and facilitate strong relationships with Bridge of Hope locations, partners and national organizations.
- Oversee all programming and staff who implement Outreach and Location Support.
- Provide resourcing, training and support to Bridge of Hope affiliates and sites, including both board and staff leadership.
- Oversee program implementation, development and services.
- Promote Bridge of Hope best practices to ensure successful services for homeless families and Neighboring Volunteers.
- Write and speak nationally as a thought leader on behalf of Bridge of Hope’s mission, issues of family homelessness, social capital of neighboring volunteers, etc.
- Give direction to creation of new resources for locations, programmatically and related to church engagement, and recruitment of Neighboring Volunteers.
- Create and implement a strengths-based process for benchmark review within the network for affiliates and program sites that includes self-reflection and engagement of locations. This will include travel – likely 5-6 times per year.
- Support and grow affiliate leaders, both executive directors and board leadership.
- Give leadership to strategies that are developed to grow the number of families and churches served, including a specific strategy for regional growth.
Specific tasks include:
Oversee the continued roll-out of the new programmatic changes of the past several years of innovation work.
- Provide resourcing, coaching and support to current Bridge of Hope location leaders.
Coach and communicate with network leaders (affiliate board chairs and directors/executive directors, etc.) on a regular basis to cultivate and nurture strong local leadership, through monthly teleconference, regional learning tours, reading groups, or other initiatives.
- Support leaders at various levels within program sites, coordinating agencies, and OneChurch sites in order to build strong supporting relationships.
- Work with new affiliates to assure they are prepared to hire their first staff person and serve their first families in a timely manner to fulfill the covenant.
- Oversee quality and availability of printed resources and online Members Only resources for board and staff, including regularly updating content of materials.
- Develop new resources each year as a proactive way to promote nonprofit best practices.
- Champion the introduction of new programs and resources to all locations.
Build collaborative relationships with other organizational leaders and potential network members.
- Present Bridge of Hope views at conferences and to external stakeholders.
- Participate in the organization of Bridge of Hope training conferences and communications.
- Lead team of Program Specialists, providing supervision and support.
- Coordinate team planning of topics for all-program staff monthly calls.
Oversee strategic development of new program resources and initiatives.
- Assure program excellence in case-management across all Bridge of Hope locations and promote core values, strategic initiatives and strengths-based philosophy.
- Oversee all new program development and launching of any new programs or services.
- Oversee the annual Aiming for Excellence Reporting from all locations.
- Analyze program information annually from Aiming for Excellence reports from each location, providing feedback and support for growth and improvement.
- Promote annual goal setting by each location and the expanding engagement of Christian faith communities with families facing homelessness.
- Proactively manage relationships with location leaders, promoting core Bridge of Hope values and nonprofit excellence
Develop and deepen Bridge of Hope core values within affiliates/sites.
- Provide timely resources to affiliates as they transition through critical junctures in the affiliate organization’s development.
- Promote non-profit excellence in all areas, including governance, fundraising, finances, stewardship, leadership, marketing, et al.
Promote location operations consistent with their covenant/agreement.
- Lead the Affiliate Council.
- Oversee and promote the continued maturity and growth of affiliate staff and boards, using a strengths-based organizational approach.
- Guide board members and staff to resources that will assist them with affiliate and leadership growth.
- Manage annual renewal of Program sites and OneChurch sites, including serving as the primary relationship holder for leaders/supervisors of Program and OneChurch sites.
- Work to assure all locations feel connected and supported by Bridge of Hope National.
- Minimize attrition of sites in order to best serve a growing number of homeless families.
Leadership and Innovation
- To serve as second-in-charge, when the Executive Director is not available for the broader staff team.
- Facilitate task forces of the board of directors, as requested by the Executive Director.
- Work as a team with other staff to promote growth of the national vision of Bridge of Hope and commitment to core Bridge of Hope values.
- Read extensively, attend workshops/seminars and stay informed and on the cutting edge issues related to homelessness in the United States and the church’s response, as well as governance, nonprofit management and fundraising.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
What a successful candidate will need:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in relevant field preferred.
- National nonprofit experience preferred.
- Significant professional experience in the field of homelessness; minimum five years.
- Minimum of seven years of experience in nonprofit leadership, including program implementation, managing a nonprofit, staff supervision, program administration, and/or board development.
Critical Executive Leadership Competencies:
- Initiates and maintains strategic relationships with stakeholders inside and outside the Bridge of Hope network to advance shared goals;
Leads with Cultural Humility:
- Leads with a spirit of cultural humility by approaching others with openness, setting aside assumptions, stereotypes and even cultural competencies in order to know another through their own lens and across all areas of diversity.
Fosters Healthy Network:
- Effectively develops high-performing team and network relationships; fosters accountability; develops organizational learning capability; engages network leaders to work across organizational and functional boundaries to promote greater efficiencies and results.
Serves as Thought Leader:
- Seeks to share Bridge of Hope through thought leadership around homeless services, and the impact of social capital and spiritual capital within Christian faith communities who serve as Neighboring Volunteers.
Displays Strategic Influence:
- Creates and executes influence strategies that persuade key internal and external stakeholders to take action that will support Bridge of Hope’s Mission and strategic direction. Proactively communicates the Mission.
Inspires and Engages People:
- Passionately and effectively presents a transformational vision; creates a clear and compelling view of the future by helping others understand how Bridge of Hope outcomes will change lives.
Leads Organizational Change:
- Seeks (and encourages others to seek) innovative ways to improve results by transforming organizational culture, systems, or products/services; adapts strategically to emerging market demands, technology, and internal initiatives.
Models Integrity and Ministry Values:
Genuinely cares about people especially families facing homelessness and Christian faith communities who seek genuine ministry together; communicates openly and honestly to foster trust relationships among colleagues and those we serve; fosters personal growth and demonstrates reverence; lives out the Bridge of Hope values of following Jesus, engaging the church and choosing hope.
- Genuinely cares about people especially families facing homelessness and Christian faith communities who seek genuine ministry together; communicates openly and honestly to foster trust relationships among colleagues and those we serve; fosters personal growth and demonstrates reverence; lives out the Bridge of Hope values of following Jesus, engaging the church and choosing hope.