Jersey City 07306, New Jersey
New City Kids is an innovative and wholistic urban youth ministry located in Paterson (NJ), Jersey City (NJ), and Grand Rapids (MI). At New City Kids, teens are given leadership roles and help create, manage, and lead performing arts after school centers, sailing schools, a summer camp, and other creative ministries. Elementary and middle school aged students participate in these ministries and grow up seeing that they can accomplish and succeed like the teens around them. As students engage with New City Kids, we come alongside them and invite them to know the power of the gospel and to become disciples of Jesus Christ.
New City Kids’ ministry fellowship is designed to help you explore a calling to ministry. The yearlong fellowship begins with serving at Summer Camp or another summer program. During the school year, the fellowship will be primarily structured around a focus area, which will be balanced with a general urban ministry experience across all areas of programming. There are many areas of ministry at New City Kids, and you will have the ability to shape a fellowship experience based on your gifts and passions as well as New City Kids’ staffing needs.
As a fellow, you’ll focus on one or two of these ministry areas:
- Youth Ministry – Work as a mentor and coach to teens, helping young people develop as leaders in their personal and professional lives. Help lead and develop bible studies and discipleship events for the teens.
- Early childhood development – Work to evaluate academic deficits in elementary school children; apply our academic curriculum, or create your own to support kids’ academic growth.
- Design / video / marketing – Serve on the communications team, using your artistic talent to help produce materials and events. You’ll learn how to empower people to join a cause.
- Worship leading / musical instruction – Serve as a musical instructor to kids or teens in bass guitar, piano, drums, or vocals. Help lead the teen worship band as they practice and perform at churches across the state.
- Non-profit management – Learn the components of vision, strategy, programming, fundraising, boards, budgets, and program evaluations and how they work together.
- Outdoor leadership – Put your desire to bring youth to nature through our City Sail program, teaching kids teamwork, sailing, and swimming during the summer months.
You’re a great candidate if you’re:
- Called to Urban Ministry – You’ve completed a bachelor’s degree or graduate degree and feel called to vocational ministry. You’re a talented ministry practitioner passionate about sharing the Gospel with inner city youth.
- Driven – New City Kids is a growing, fast-paced organization. We’re looking for team members who are willing to jump in, ask good questions and then take initiative to serve the kids and teens well.
- A Learner – You’re curious and open to feedback. Read the local paper. Read books. Talk with your teammates. Debrief with your supervisor. Wrestle with the hard questions about God, the city, and the Kingdom unfolding around you.
- Aligned with New City Kids’ Mission – You affirm New City Kids’ statement of faith (newcitykids.org/statement-of-faith) and are excited about working at a Gospel-centered urban youth ministry
- Authentic – Be yourself without focusing on what others think of you. Carry yourself in a way that is true to who God made you to be as you build relationships with those around you.
- A Communicator – You’ll be building relationships with kids and teens in large and small group settings, helping with tutoring sessions and classes, and leading bible studies.
This is a paid yearlong fellowship with part-time and full-time options available. The part-time fellowship can be paired with graduate school or as a bi-vocational role. Housing may be available as part of your compensation.
Start Date: Summer 2019
Locations: Jersey City, NJ / Paterson, NJ / Grand Rapids, MI
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
How to Apply: Email Rachel Telljohann (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request the application.